-- A hard-fought first
half failed to pay off as
the Milligan College
women's basketball team
fell to No. 10 Tennessee
Wesleyan College 70-51 in
Conference action on
Saturday afternoon. The
Buffs (7-14, 6-7 AAC),
who came ...
the focus solely on
been difficult. The No.
22 Lady Bulldogs (17-3,
5-2) have ties to the
Volunteer State. Coach
Andy Landers (Maryville)
and Shacobia Barbee
(Knoxville) are Tennessee
Daniels is a
running back from Athens,
GA (Clarke Central ...
That would be like
another school coming to
Knoxville and wooing Todd
Kelly Jr away from
just not likely. However,
I applaud the Vols for
doing their due ...
(WAAY) - Athens State
University is getting
some money to help award
scholarships to worthy
students and boost the
WIFI service on campus.
The money comes from
proceeds from last year's
Tennessee Valley Old Time
She was born
April 5, 1948 in Athens,
Tennessee, to Gilmer
William and Myrtle May
(Culberson) Corn. On
March 9, 2011 she married
Bowdler, Jr. in Port St.
Lucie, Florida. He
survives along with two
daughters, Tara (Chris)
Hessberger of ...
The Bank is
headquartered in Athens,
Tennessee and provides
financial services to
individuals, families and
businesses through its
seven offices located in
Investment & Company
Jeffrey L. Cunningham
President and ...
defense still needs work.
Without those huge plays
by Gurley and Amari
Cooper, the Vols could
have stolen a win in
Athens and kept pace with
Alabama well into the
fourth quarter. Huge
plays by Brandon Wilds
and Pharoh Cooper nearly
put the game ...
Ga. -- Four-star wide
receiver Van Jefferson of
Brentwood, Tenn., made
two headlines today. The
first was when he jumped
from No. 233 to No. 138
in the Rivals.com final
recruit rankings. The
second was when he
announced that he was no
Akins, 87, of Athens, TN,
died on Wednesday,
January 14, 2015, at his
residence surrounded by
his family. He was of
Christian faith. A native
and lifelong resident of
McMinn County, he was
retired from Athens Stove
Works and was an avid
(WBIR) After more than 40
years in education, a
long-time East Tennessee
superintendent says he
plans to retire. Our
WRCB-TV said Robert
Greene, director of
schools for Athens City
Schools. made the
SPECIAL INFORMATION FOR ATHENS
Avoid using heart rate monitors or take fetal pictures of "remembrance"
Ultrasonography is the most widely used medical method for imaging the fetus during pregnancy.
Fetal fetal ultrasonography provides images in real time.The fetal heart rate monitors Doppler ultrasonic devices are handheld devices that allow one to hear the heartbeat of the fetus. Both are prescription devices designed for use by trained health professionals. They are not intended for sale or use nonprescription medications, and FDA censorship categorically use to take videos and pictures of fetal keepsake.
"Although there is no evidence that there is any damage as a result of the ultrasound images and heart rate monitors, it is important that prudent use of these devices by providers trained health becomes" warns Dr . Shahram Vaezy, PhD, a biomedical engineer at the FDA."Ultrasound can gently heating the tissue and in some cases also create tiny bubbles (cavitation) in some of them."
The long-term effects of heating and cavitation of tissue are unknown. Therefore, ultrasonography should be performed only when there is a medical need, backed by a recipe and trained technicians.
The fetal keepsake videos are controversial, because exposing the fetus to ultrasound brings no medical benefit.The FDA knows of several companies that sell ultrasound imaging in the United States to fetal keepsake videos.In some cases, be that the ultrasound machine used for up to an hour to record a video of the fetus.
Although the FDA recognizes that fetal images can help strengthen the bonds between parents and the unborn baby, such opportunities are provided routinely during prenatal care. In creating fetal keepsake videos, there is no control over how long it will last one sonographic sign, how many sessions will be held or ultrasound systems work well. Instead, explains Dr. Veazy, "the proper use of ultrasound equipment covered by a prescription, ensures that pregnant women receive professional care that contributes to your health and your baby".
Heart Rate Monitors Doppler ultrasound:
Similar concerns surrounding the sale and use of heart rate monitors Doppler ultrasound. These devices, which are used to hear the heartbeat of the fetus, are lawfully marketed as "medical devices prescription", and can only be used by a health professional or under the supervision of one.
"When the product is purchased without a prescription and used without consulting a health care professional who is attending to the pregnant woman, there is no oversight on how the device is used. In addition, it is expected that exposure has little or no medical benefit, "says Dr. Vaezy. "Furthermore, the number of sessions, or duration, for the images of a fetus lack of controls, and that increases the possibility that the fetus and, ultimately, the mother damaged".
ATHENS TENNESSEE tspan:3m
How can consumers in ATHENS be sure a genetic test is valid and useful?
Before undergoing genetic testing, it is important to be sure that the test is valid and useful. A genetic test is valid if it provides an accurate result. Two main measures of accuracy apply to genetic tests: analytical validity and clinical validity. Another measure of the quality of a genetic test is its usefulness, or clinical utility.
Analytical validity refers to how well the test predicts the presence or absence of a particular gene or genetic change. In other words, can the test accurately detect whether a specific genetic variant is present or absent?
Clinical validity refers to how well the genetic variant being analyzed is related to the presence, absence, or risk of a specific disease.
Clinical utility refers to whether the test can provide information about diagnosis, treatment, management, or prevention of a disease that will be helpful to a consumer.
All laboratories that perform health-related testing, including genetic testing, are subject to federal regulatory standards called the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) or even stricter state requirements. CLIA standards cover how tests are performed, the qualifications of laboratory personnel, and quality control and testing procedures for each laboratory. By controlling the quality of laboratory practices, CLIA standards are designed to ensure the analytical validity of genetic tests.
CLIA standards do not address the clinical validity or clinical utility of genetic tests. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires information about clinical validity for some genetic tests. Additionally, the state of New York requires information on clinical validity for all laboratory tests performed for people living in that state. Consumers, health providers, and health insurance companies are often the ones who determine the clinical utility of a genetic test.
It can be difficult to determine the quality of a genetic test sold directly to the public. Some providers of direct-to-consumer genetic tests are not CLIA-certified, so it can be difficult to tell whether their tests are valid. If providers of direct-to-consumer genetic tests offer easy-to-understand information about the scientific basis of their tests, it can help consumers make more informed decisions. It may also be helpful to discuss any concerns with a health professional before ordering a direct-to-consumer genetic test.
The city agains Asthma
If you or your child has asthma, you are not alone. About 23 million people in the United States suffer from asthma. Asthma is the leading cause of disease of long duration in children.
We are all responsible for protecting the conditions that determine a good level of health for our family and our community. Education is the basis for creating health-promoting environments for all.
At present, we have at our disposal a wealth of information about asthma. Hence, both the parents and the people who are caring for children play an important role in the transmission of knowledge, and changing lifestyle of the family.
Since the EPA is committed to educating all people about asthma, then you will find useful information that will help you more effectively control asthma.
What are the environmental factors that cause asthma?
Asthma can be triggered by allergens or irritants that are common in our homes.The most common factors are:
Asthma can be caused by smoke from a cigarette butt, pipe or cigar and also by the smoke exhaled by a smoker.
- Choose not to smoke in your home or car or allow others to do so.
Dust mites are too small to be seen with the naked eye, but are in every home.They live in mattresses, pillows, carpets, furniture fabric wallpaper, bedspreads, clothes and stuffed toys.
- Wash sheets and blankets weekly in hot water.
- Choose soft toys that are washable, and wash them often in hot water, drying them completely. Keep these toys off beds.
- Cover mattresses and pillows with covers that prevent the passage of dust (allergen impermeable) having a closure.
Skin flakes emerging from domestic animals, urine and saliva may trigger asthma.
Learn more at www.epa.gov/asthma/pets.html
- Consider keeping pets out of the house or finding a new home if necessary.
- Keep your pets all the time outside the bedroom or any other area that is used for sleeping and keep the doors shut.
- Keep pets off the furniture with tapestry fabric, carpets and stuffed toys.
Mold grows in damp places or materials. The key to mold control is moisture control. If mold is a problem in your home, clean and remove excess water or moisture. Reducing moisture also helps reduce other factors that cause asthma, such as cockroaches.
- Wash mold off hard surfaces and dry completely. Absorbents, such as tile roofs and carpets, if they rust, should probably be removed or replaced materials.
- Make any water leaks in the pipes and pipes and other sources of water supply.
- Keep drip pans in your refrigerator, air conditioner and dehumidifier environments, clean and dry.
- Use exhaust fans or open windows hold while cooking or when using the dishwasher.
- Use exhaust fans in the bathrooms while showering.
- Place the exhaust in a clothes dryer to the outside.
- Keep the humidity inside the house at a low level, 30 to 50 percent relative humidity. Humidity levels can be measured by hygrometers which can be purchased at hardware stores.
Droppings or excretions of cockroaches can trigger asthma.
If sprays are used:
- Do not leave food or garbage out environmental exposure.
- Store food in tightly sealed containers.
- Clean all food waste or spilled liquids immediately.
- First try to control cockroaches using poison baits, boric acid or traps before using pesticide sprays.
- Limit yourself to use only in infested areas.
- Carefully follow the instructions found on product labels.
- Ensure that enough fresh air when you spray and keep the person with asthma out of the home.
Preventing asthma attacks
. To make an asthma action plan, tips on how to manage asthma and get a copy of the popular activity book "Dusty the Goldfish".
- Step 1: Talk to your doctor about your child´s asthma. If your child has asthma or you think your child has this disease, take your child to a doctor.The doctor will work with you to ensure that your child has an asthma attack.
- Learn what causes asthma in your child.
- Identify your asthma triggers in your home are.
- Learn how to rid your home the factors that cause asthma.
- Know what your child should take medication.
- Step 2: Make a plan. Ask your doctor to help you create an individual action plan to control your child´s asthma. Work with your doctor to create a plan of action to help you learn how to prevent asthma attacks your child regularly.
- Step 3 - Make your home resistant asthma. The factors that cause asthma are part of our daily lives. Asthma attacks can be caused by mold growing on the shower curtain in the bathroom, dust mites living in blankets or blankets, the pillows and stuffed toys of your child. Learn more about the things that can cause an asthma attack and what you can do to eliminate them and keep your child healthy.
Tools Program Indoor Air Quality for Schools
EPA has developed a program of Air Quality Tools for Schools Interior to reduce exposure to environmental contaminants in them through the voluntary adoption of practices to manage indoor air quality.
The "program IAQ Tools for Schools
"is a detailed to help maintain a healthy environment in school buildings by identifying, correcting and preventing problems of air quality resource.Poor indoor air quality in schools can affect the comfort and health of students and staff, which in turn can affect concentration, attendance, and student performance. In addition, if the school takes to react promptly as poor air quality, students and staff are at increased risk of health problems in the short term, such as fatigue and nausea, as well as problems long-term health such as asthma. Read more about it and download or order a kit action " IAQ Tools for Schools ".