Bonham, Texas -- The
fourth annual Great Days
of Service for Bonham is
set for October 18. On
that day, volunteers will
be dispatched across town
to complete several
projects. Organizers are
asking people to register
by Oct 5 at www.gds
Christopher and Joy
Henson of Siloam Springs,
Ark., are pleased to
announce the engagement
of their eldest son, Mr.
Dylan Scott Henson to
Miss Kasidy Jewel
Kinkade, daughter to Joe
and Elizabeth Shellman
and Larry Kinkade of
Texas -- A jury has been
selected for the trial of
a former Bonham educator
accused of abusing a
special needs student.
Opening arguments are
expected to start
Connerley, 30, is charged
with aggravated assault
with a deadly weapon
Carolina and Texas
A&M will play for the
James Bonham Trophy.
Carolina and Texas
A&M will open their
seasons Thursday night
against one another, and
when they do they'll also
kick off a brand new
rivalry. Yes, these two
are now ...
an idea concocted between
Texas Gov. Rick Perry and
South Carolina Gov. Nikki
Haley, apparently will
feature Bonham on a horse
bound for the Alamo,
having an all-time
zero-zero record in
Butler Bonham, the
University of South
Carolina-educated hero of
the Alamo, will adorn a
trophy that could be
exchanged by the
Gamecocks and Texas
A&M starting this
fall, according to a
former S.C. Republican
party leader working with
governors in ...
— Twenty-two Bonham
High School seniors have
been named Texas Scholars
by the Bonham Education
Foundation. To earn this
distinction, students had
to complete requirements
under the distinguished
program, which include
taking on extra and
W. Bonham, 87, of
Texarkana, Texas, died
Monday, April 14, 2014,
in a local hospital. Mr.
Bonham was born Nov. 7,
1926, in Redwater, Texas.
He was a retired dry
goods and shoe salesman
and a member of
Friendship Sunday school
class and Hardy ...
During a recent
interview on Quartet Hour
Internet Radio Station,
Joe Ligon stated that The
Mighty Clouds of Joy had
been singing together
close to fifty-three
years. During their time
of singing the groups has
created over forty albums
which afforded them
involving an ambulance
responding to a fatal
accident has claimed the
life of a Bonham
seriously injured the
driver. At 6:08 a.m.
Sunday, Medic 3 from the
Bonham, Texas Fire
Department was ...
Dallas Stars on Wednesday
loaned forward Brett
Ritchie and defenseman
Jyrki Jokipakka to Texas
of the American Hockey
League. Selected No. 44
in the 2011 NHL Draft,
Ritchie scored 48 points
(22 goals, 26 assists) in
68 regular-season games
and 11 ...
Walton remains the
richest person in Texas,
and Texas Rangers
co-owner Ray Davis moved
up among the ranks of
to the latest rankings by
Forbes magazine. Walton,
the daughter of the late
founder of the Wal-Mart
new at the State Fair of
Texas All this week we
are showcasing things
that are new at the State
Fair of Texas. And
Wednesday we sent Brian
Glenn to hop on some new
rides. Check out this
story on WFAA.com:
TX (SportsNetwork.com) -
Lone Star State rivals
square off on Saturday
afternoon, as the
Bears pay a visit to the
Texas Longhorns for a Big
12 Conference tussle at
Darrell K. Royal-Texas
Memorial Stadium. Baylor
enters the ...
Texas Attorney General
Greg Abbott says he
opposes same-sex marriage
because he’s been
married to his wife for
more than 33 years.
Abbott, who is leading
the fight against a
federal court ruling that
struck down the
Ebola may have already
spread on U.S. soil.
Texas health officials
are monitoring a possible
second Ebola patient
— a day after the
Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention
confirmed the first
U.S.-diagnosed case. The
first patient was listed
bankrupt gun retailer and
shooting range in
suburban Houston that
loudly filed for
President Obama and bank
executives on its sign in
yard—could get an
even bigger megaphone
with a new reality
- The highest criminal
court in Texas has
refused to reinstate two
convictions of former
U.S. House Majority
Leader Tom DeLay. The
Texas Court of Criminal
Appeals on Wednesday
upheld a ruling last year
from the 3rd Court of
YORK (Reuters) - The
first patient to be
diagnosed with Ebola in a
U.S. hospital was
evaluated initially and
turned away, a critical
missed opportunity that
could result in others
being exposed to the
deadly virus, infectious
Texas (AP) — Texas
Tech coach Kliff
Kingsbury has been here
before. The Red Raiders'
second-year coach has
worked with four freshmen
starting quarterbacks in
the past, mostly with
success. Heading into a
matchup at No. 23 Kansas
State on ...
SPECIAL INFORMATION FOR BONHAM
Learn about obesity in children
How do I know if my child has a healthy weight?
The doctor will monitor the changes in height and weight of children in the course of time and can tell you if your child has a healthy weight. During regular checkups, be sure to talk to your doctor about your childs weight.
Your childs doctor may ask about:
- The feeding habits of your child
- If you know places where to buy healthy food for children
- How much physical activity the child
- If there are certain places where your child can run and play
- Much time your child spends each day in front of screens (watching TV, playing video games or at the computer, phone or tablet, such as iPad)
- Any health problems your child has
- The medical history of your family
What is BMI and what are the percentiles of BMI?
To find out if your child is in a healthy weight range, your doctor may use a measure called BMI or "body mass index". BMI is based on height and weight of your child measure. The BMI helps the doctor estimate how much body fat your child. The doctor can use BMI to see if your child has an appropriate weight for your height. A healthy BMI is different between girls and boys and varies by age.
Your doctor can compare your child´s BMI values ??typical of children of the same sex and age BMI. For that, doctors may use what is called "BMI percentile". This can help the doctor determine if your child is underweight, healthy weight, overweight or obese.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of Diseases, CDC, for its acronym in English), it is considered that a child has:
- A healthy weight if your BMI is between the 5th percentile and 85th
- Overweight if their BMI is between the 85th percentile and 95 º
- Obese if their BMI is in the 95th percentile or taller
Talk with your child´s doctor about what BMI means your child.
Obesity: the 95th percentile upwards
Overweight: 85th percentile to less than 95
Healthy Weight: 5th percentile to the 85th
Underweight: below the 5th percentile
To calculate BMI and BMI percentile your child visit http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/ (available in English)
What health problems can cause a child being overweight or obese?
Children who are overweight or obese are more likely to be overweight or obese as adults. Also more likely to develop serious health problems, such as:
- High blood sugar or diabetes
- High Blood Pressure
- Cholesterol (a type of blood fat) tall
- Sleep apnea (a condition in which a person stops breathing for short periods during sleep)
- Heart problems (such as heart attack or heart failure) or stroke in adulthood
- Increased pressure on bones and joints, which can cause problems in childhood and in adulthood, joints and bones
- Disease Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (disease caused by excess fat in the liver)
- Low self-esteem or depression
- Eating disorders such as binging and purging food
In the U.S., 1 in 3 children are overweight or obese.
What can cause a child to become overweight or obese?
Many things can cause a child to become overweight or obese; for instance:
- Unhealthy eating habits . Children may overeat, eat many foods that are not healthy or take too many sugary drinks.
- Not getting enough sleep . Children who do not sleep long enough each night are more likely to be overweight.
- Family history . Children in families with overweight may be more likely to develop it. That may be due to the child´s genes or eating habits that are learned in the family.
- Lack of sufficient physical activity . It is possible that children do not carry enough physical activity.Children should be active for at least 1 hour each day.
- Too much time in front of screens . Children can spend too much time each day in front of screens.Some children eat while watching TV or playing on the computer.
- Environment . Children may spend time in an environment (such as with family or friends, at daycare or school) where they have access to healthy food choices and opportunities for physical activity.
How to prevent your child from becoming overweight or obese
How I can prevent my child from becoming overweight or obese?
To help prevent your child from becoming overweight or obese, make sure you eat healthy and be active. There are many things you can do at home, at school and in the community to help children maintain a healthy weight.Here are some examples of each is.
There are many things families can do at home. Some examples are:
- Prepare healthy meals at home with components of each food group.
- The food groups include fruits, vegetables, grains, protein foods (meat, eggs, fish, "tofu" or tofu and beans) and low-fat dairy products or fat.
- Make sure you eat a healthy breakfast every day.
- Eat at the table with the family, rather than in front of a screen (TV, computer, cell phone or tablet).
- Limit or avoid having drinks and foods that are not healthy at home.
- Replace unhealthy snacks such as cookies, candy or chips in bag, healthy snacks such as fruits and vegetables.
- Replace unhealthy sugary drinks such as soda, sports drinks or juices for healthy drinks such as water and low fat milk or fat.
- Whenever you can, eat at home instead of in restaurants. At home, you are more likely to limit the amount of fat, sugar and salt in their food.
- Make sure you eat the right amount of food.
Stay physically active
- Give your child a chance to run and play for at least 1 hour a day.
- Organize fun activities like biking, walking to the park, playing ball or swimming.
- Encourage the whole family to stay active throughout the day.
- For example, use the stairs instead of the elevator and go to places to walk or bike instead of going by car or bus.
- Limit the time you spend in front of screens every day.
- In addition to being physically active, make sure your child gets enough sleep each night.
Let´s Go! (Come on!) is a program to prevent children from becoming obese. The program is based on healthy eating and physical activity. Let´s Go! recommends healthy habits "5-2-1-0" for each day:
- 5 fruits and vegetables
- 2 hours or less of screen time for fun
- 1 hour or more of physical activity
- 0 sugary drinks
Let´s Go also recommends keeping the TV and computers out of the bedroom of the child and not allowing screen time for children under 2 years.
Let´s Go is a program of the State of Maine also provides resources to communities in other states.
These images and messages are adapted from Let´s Go on www.letsgo.org (available in English only)
Let´s Go also has resources for schools to help children to eat healthy and be physically active. For more information and a packet of resources for your school, visit www.letsgo.org / toolkits . Certain pages package resources are available in Spanish.
To find out what is making your child´s school to help prevent children are overweight or become obese, talk to the principal, the school nurse or school counselor your child. You can also ask how to participate in the Parent Teacher Association (PTA, for its acronym in English) or Parent Teacher Organization (PTO, for its acronym in English).
In addition to eating healthily and be physically active at home, school programs can help children maintain a healthy weight. School programs can include activities such as:
- Lessons about the importance of healthy eating and physical activity.
- Information sessions for parents to learn ways to help your child maintain a healthy weight.
- Healthy options for breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria, with appropriate portion sizes.
- Healthy snacks and drinks in vending machines and at parties and events.
- Water Dispensers with filters, to promote the use of drinking water instead of soda or sports drinks.
- Groups led by adults to go to school on foot or by bicycle.
- A longer period of physical education, in which children are physically active.
- Fitness equipment such as balls and jump ropes for use at recess.
In the community
In addition to home and school, they can also make changes in the community to help children maintain a healthy weight. Communities and community middles can:
- Improve parks, sidewalks and bike paths to ride in the community.
- Take steps to parks, sidewalks and bike paths to be secure.
- Promote community events such as health fairs, walks 5 kilometers (5K), sporting events at local parks, community gardens programs and local farmers markets. This can be done through posters, local modernspapers and radio stations and local television.
- Offer programs where families can receive advice on healthy eating and physical activity.
For other resources that can help your child maintain a healthy weight, visit:
For more information to improve parks, sidewalks and bike paths to ride in your area, contact your local department of parks and recreation.
For more information about events or programs in your community, contact your local community and recreation middles (such as the YMCA, the Boys and Girls Club or the local religious community middles).
What researchers found on measures that can be taken at home, school and community to prevent children are overweight or become obese?
Healthy eating and physical activity are very important to prevent children are overweight or become obese.
The researchers found that:
- School programs to help children to eat healthily and being physically active can help prevent becoming overweight or become obese.
- In conjunction with the curriculum, they can be useful also other measures taken at home and in the community.
- More research is needed to find out what programs or measures are most effective.
Talking to your child´s doctor, school officials and community middles
Examples of questions to ask your child
- Is my child a healthy weight?
- What are the most important things I do at home to help my child maintain a healthy weight?
- How I can get my child to eat healthy foods?
- How much of each type of food should my child eat?
- How much physical activity does my child need each day?
- What are the best types of physical activity for my child?
- How long should I allow my child pass in front of screens every day?
- How long should my child sleep every night?
- Do you have resources that can help me keep my child at a healthy weight?
- Are you of community resources that can help you know?
- If I have no grocery stores nearby or healthy foods are expensive for me, do you know resources that can help?
- If there is a secure place for my child out to play, how I can help you stay active?
Sample questions for the principal, school nurse or your child´s counselor
- Does the school offer programs to help prevent children are overweight or become obese? If not, how could we start one?
- In the cafeteria and vending machines? Healthy foods like fruits and vegetables are offered instead of sugary drinks and salty or fatty foods?
- How long will my child for physical activities is given in physical education class, at recess or during the day?
- Do you use once school physical education as punishment or other physical activities?
- Do you have programs for group walks or go to school groups for cycling to school guided by adults or other physical activity programs for children?
- Is there information sessions that you can attend to learn more about how to help my child maintain a healthy weight?
- What can I do at home to help reinforce what is taught in school about healthy eating and physical activity?
- Are you of community resources that can help you know?
Examples of questions to their local community or recreation middles
- Do you have resources or programs on healthy eating and physical activity for children?
- Do you have a calendar of community events that include activities such as health fairs, walks 5 kilometers (5K) and sporting events at local parks?
- Do you have a list of community gardens or local farmers markets?
- Do you know of programs that can guide me to help my family eat healthy and be physically active?
The information in this summary comes from the report Childhood Obesity Prevention Programs: Comparative Effectiveness Review and Meta-Analysis, (Programs to prevent childhood obesity: A review of comparative efficacy and meta-analysis)., June 2013 The report was produced by the Johns Hopkins University Evidence-based Practice Center (Centre for Evidence-Based Practice at Johns Hopkins) with funding from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality in Health Care, AHRQ, for its acronym in English).
Additional information MedlinePlus website was obtained ® , a service of the National Library of Medicine (National Library of Medicine) and the National Institutes of Health (National Institutes of Health) of the United States. This page is available at www.nlm.nih.gov / medlineplus / spanish .
This summary was prepared by the John M. Eisenberg Center for Clinical Decisions and Communications Science (John M. Eisenberg Center for Science Communications and Clinical Decision) at Baylor College of Medicine (Baylor College of Medicine) in Houston, Texas. It was written by Amelia Williamson Smith, MS, Jason A. Mendoza, MD, MPH, and Michael Fordis, MD This summary was reviewed by parents of children aged 2 to 18 years ancient.
How I can eat a healthy diet?
The body needs minerals, vitamins and other nutrients to stay healthy. A healthy diet means you are eating:
Vegetables, fruits, whole grains and non-fat dairy and low-fat
Fish, seafood, chicken or turkey, lean meats and low-fat, eggs, beans, peas (peas), seeds and nuts
Limit your intake of foods rich in:
Cholesterol, sodium (salt) and added sugar.
Fat trans: fats trans can be found in foods such as cakes (or cakes), cookies, margarine that comes in bars and fried foods.
Saturated fats: These fats are in animal products such as cheese, high-fat meats, whole milk and butter.
Refined grains: refined grain products include white bread, pasta, white rice and flour tortillas, among others.
Get a personalized diet plan to help you choose healthy foods
Having too much cholesterol in the blood can cause heart disease or heart attack. Approximately one in six people in the United States have high cholesterol. You may have high cholesterol and not know it. Good thing its easy to get tested for cholesterol, and if you go too high, you can take steps to control it.
Who should be tested for cholesterol?
Men who are 35 or more
Men under 35 who have heart disease or are at risk of suffering from
Women who have heart disease or are at risk of suffering from
The city and the 7 steps to positive thinking
Most of us keep a constant mental conversation . We talk with ourselves every day, and unfortunately, many times these "internal" discussions are negative, often marked by guilt about the past or worry about the future. Such negativity can destroy any sign of hope that we have about the realization of our dreams.
Our actions are based on our thoughts. If we change the way we think, we can begin to change the actions we take. Humans are always in pursuit of personal growth financial, emotional, physical or spiritual. Practicing positive internal conversations can help us going to take actions that lead to great results.
Then I leave seven steps to achieving a positive self-talk. Following these steps you will be able to start eliminating your negative conversations and replace them with thoughts that will motivate you to improve.
1 Eliminate negative self-talk
The first step is realizing. Would difficult to make a change without know intimately the thoughts that are in our head.
No doubt that if you have a long history of negative internal conversations, will be a challenge. Their conversation becomes negative over the years for various reasons. For example, if a child constantly told you that you were "dumb", you could incorporate as a truth. Then you will discover your inner self there is a little voice that often repeats phrases like "I´m too slow", or "it costs me learn something." If you constantly pass on negative stories, your actions will reflect their low self-esteem. Going to be difficult for you to get somewhere if you´re always pulling back.
Ordinary conversation includes the negative "can not." When you say to yourself "I can´t" or "it´s very difficult," you are creating resistance. A mental block are prevented you from doing things that could succeed.
Whenever you find yourself saying "I can´t ...", stop the game and challenge yourself with a "why?". Studies show that most geniuses become outstanding people after years of commitment and more commitment. So if you want to be successful need to start saying "I can" more often.
A good method I have found useful is to say "stopping, stopping" whenever I notice myself saying something negative about myself, both mentally and verbally. This method works if you have a sincere interest in positive thinking.
2 Positive Affirmations
Affirmations are positive expressions of a desired outcome or goal. Expressions are generally short, believable and focused. By repeating them over time, we opened new paths in our subconscious, creating the possibility of a new order of thoughts.
An important step in repeating affirmations is to read them aloud and with feeling. But read does not help unless you really feel what you say.
Surely you have any questions about this technique at the beginning. Nevertheless, if you follow these simple instructions to his disbelief will soon be replaced by faith in yourself.
3 Create positive screenplays
One thing you can see is that it´s easy for your mind to generate negative thoughts, based on other negative thoughts. This cycle never ends, but increases, creating a strong limitation.
From now on, let´s do this exercise. Invent a positive, uplifting story that flows like a movie script. Visualize the situation. Build the story with a positive ending; how bigger the storyline better. Better yet if you can develop a story that tells how all your goals are reached. When you do begin to internalize your goals and dreams as if they were something you already did.
4 Replace negative influences with positive
It is important to identify external negative factors in your life that are limiting your thoughts. For example, your mood can poison with friends and people who are negative. If you are not careful enough, you will begin to adopt their negative thoughts. So be alert to negative influences. Whether they come from friends, limit your exposure to these thoughts as much as you can. Additionally, avoid discussing your plans with people who did not encourage and help you in your dreams and goals.
Instead, look to surround yourself with the thoughts and actions of people that motivate you. Before long you will see the transformation of a pessimistic ball in a good and pleasant aura . This positive energy that surrounds you will begin to improve their internal conversations too.
5 Posts in present time
What can help you is to focus about the steps you can take now. If you find yourself locked, think: "what can I do now?." Change your self-talk, letting anxiety about the future and start to act in this time. You can not control what happens in the future, but if you take the necessary steps now, it allows you to have a better tomorrow. Focus your thoughts on today and now.
6 Controlling fears
Fear is often what prevents you from achieving the goals. Are you afraid to take risks for fear of losing the security that enjoys now. You try to convince yourself that you are happy in their current state when, in reality, is not . Your inner self may seem positive in trying to lie to himself. Yet somehow, you know you´re cheating.
Ask yourself what are your fears. What ´s the worst that can happen? Follow a step-by-step approach - to discuss their fears and see if there is any way to see things more positively. When you confront your fears, often going to realize that the worst case scenario is not as bad as thought. On indeed, the benefits of change tend to justify the risk.
7 Enjoy the good times
It´s much easier to have a positive attitude if you focus on the good moments of your life instead of the bad. Although it is inevitable to have problems and challenges, remember that life consists of ups and downs, and that the good times are forged through the bad times.
So choose to fill your mind with positive thoughts and images. Make it a conscious habit. To start, if you can be grateful for what you have now, your internal conversation will begin to change and align yourself with that sense of joy. A state of gratitude helps a lot to your mind.
Atention: "Every time you see someone promises you will lose weight without exercise, you know that the only thing you lose is your money"
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reported that at least four manufacturers -LeanSpa fashion formulas, L´Occitane, HCG Diet Direct and have engaged in misleading sensationalist propaganda. Companies, meanwhile, agreed to pay a combined $ 30 million to settle the matter.
The fine is not much for a business that moves each year between 60,000 million and 70,000 million dollars in a country where two thirds of the population are obese or overweight.
The FTC not only expects to collect that money to reimburse consumers who bought the fraudulent products but also called on newspapers, magazines, television stations and other media that suppress false or misleading propaganda.
"Every time you see someone promises you will lose weight without exercise, you know that the only thing you lose is your money," said a statement from the FTC. "Weight loss requires wise choices about the food."
About 100 million people "dieters" in the United States, easy and miraculous formulas have become even more popular since the years of the Great Recession.
Total spending on EE diets. UU. stagnated during the crisis and, in fact, it has not grown much since. Total revenues of the companies diets rose about 1.2% in 2012 and 2.6% in 2013, according to research firm MarketData markets.
What has changed is that more people are turning to the "fashionable formula"-usually a hodgepodge, fruit, grain or seed exótica- systems use less structured and more costly diets, the results are tested as WeightWatchers.
Over a year ago it became fashionable to extract green coffee beans, hailed as a miracle supplement for weight loss.
The investigation of the American Chemical Society on chlorogenic acid, the main ingredient in supplements of green coffee beans that soon went on sale in the "health food stores" showed that not contribute to weight loss and instead can make fatty deposits build up in the liver.
Another recent example of how quickly the exotic products gain public attention, and pay millions of dollars to doctors and dietitians who are promoted on popular television programs is Garcinia cambogia.
The extract of this fruit from Southeast Asia is promoted as a quick fix for excess weight, with no clinical studies to prove, without much time to use to determine their effects on people with certain health conditions.
On the other hand still has little popularity that the universal formula for losing excess weight, and to maintain healthy, remains a varied and moderate diet, along with an appropriate level of physical exercise. Ie consumption and expenditure necessary than consumed.
"It´s easy to make the resolution to lose weight and keep it is difficult," said Jessica Rich, director of the Office of Consumer Protection at the FTC. "And the odds of success just sprinkle something in the food, running a creamy thighs or using a ´supplement´ are between few and none."
Currently the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has given approval for only three compounds for weight loss, and these are suitable only for certain adults Belviq, Qsymia and Orilstat (sold without prescription under the name Alli) .
For Sensa is a powder which contains maltodextrin, tricalcium phosphate and siliceous as well as natural and artificial flavors, and that users spread on your meals.
The manufacturers claim in their propaganda that has been tested clinically an average weight loss of almost 14 pounds in six months, without dieting or exercise.
The FTC charged that Sensa Products, Inc. Sensa, Sensa´s chief executive, Adam Goldberg, and the creator of the formula, the doctor Alan Hirsch, making claims that are not supported by the evidence.
The FTC closed in December 2011 companies LeanSpa weight loss indicating that made false promises in its promotion of acai fruit and products for colon cleansing.
L´Occitane appeared on the market with a different approach: skin creams with names like Beautiful Shape and Almond Delight Almond Shaping the application, according to the propaganda, slim down the fats in about three inches in just four weeks.
HDG Diet Direct, meanwhile, sells a liquid form of chorionic gonadotropin produced by the human placenta, and as the propaganda has to be taken with a diet of less than 800 calories daily.
But "a very low calorie diet should only be used under proper medical supervision," the government notice.
In that warning the government argued that "HDG products sold without prescription have not proven to aid in weight loss and can be dangerous, even if administered according to the instructions.
BONHAM TEXAS tspan:3m
You have the right to a safe workplace
You have the right to a safe workplace. The Law on Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970
(OSH Act) was enacted to prevent death, injury or illness of workers in their workplaces. The law requires employers to provide free working conditions hazards and unsafe conditions. The Act (OSH Act) created the Administration Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), which sets and enforces standards that protect the safety and health at workplaces. OSHA also provides information, training and assistance to workers and employers. Workers can make a complaint to OSHA inspect their workplace if they believe their employer is not following OSHA standards or there are serious risks.
Contact us with questions or to make a complaint
. We will keep your information confidential. We are here to help.
The rights of workers under the OSHA Act
Workers have the right to conditions
of work without risk of serious harm. Site to ensure safe and healthful workplace, OSHA also provides workers the right to:
- Ask OSHA to conduct an inspection of the workplace.
- Exercise their rights under the law of revenge free or discrimination.
- Receive information and training about hazards, methods to prevent damage and OSHA standards that apply to your workplace. The training must be in a language you can understand;
- Having access to the results of the tests done to find hazards in the workplace,
- Read the archives of injuries and work-related diseases ;
- Access to copies of your medical records ;
Who covers the OSHA
Private sector workers
Most employees in the country are under the jurisdiction of the OSHA law. OSHA covers employers and private sector workers in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and other jurisdictions of the United States, either directly by the OSHA
Federal, or anOSHA-approved state program
. State Programs health and safety should be at least as effective as federal OSHA program. To find the contact information for the Office of Federal or state program of the nearest OSHA, see the map of the regional offices
Employees of state and local government
Employees who work for state and local governments are not covered by the federal OSHA, but have protection under the OSHA law if they work in states that have a state program approved by OSHA. Four states and a territory of the USA. UU. have OSHA-approved plans that cover only public sector employees. These include: Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, and the Virgin Islands. Workers in the private sector in these four states and the Virgin Islands are covered by federal OSHA.
Federal agencies must have a safety and health program that meets the same standards as private employers. Although OSHA does not assign fines to federal agencies, yes the monitors and responds to complaints from their workers. The States Postal Service (USPS) is covered by OSHA.
Not covered by the OSHA Act:
- Freelance workers;
- Members of the immediate family of the owners of a farm that did not employ outside workers; and
- Workplace hazards that are regulated by another federal agency (eg Administration Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the Coast Guard)
Standards OSHA: Occupational
OSHA standards are regulations that describe the methods that employers must use to protect their employees from hazards and risks. There are OSHA standards for the construction
, marine operations
, and general industry.
latter category are the standards that apply to most workplaces. Standards limit the amount of hazardous chemicals to which workers can be exposed;require the use of certain safe practices and equipment; and require employers to monitor hazards and keep reports of injuries and illnesses in the workplace. Examples of OSHA standards include requirements to: provide fall protection; prevent the collapse of excavations; prevent some infectious diseases; ensure that workers entering confined spaces safely; prevent employees from being exposed to harmful substances such as asbestos; put guards on machines; provide respirators or other safety equipment; and provide training for certain dangerous jobs.
Employers must also conform to the General Duty Clause
of the OSHA Act requires employers to keep their workplace free of hazards that are recognized as serious. This clause is usually cited when no OSHA standard applies directly to danger.
Workers can request that OSHA inspect your workplace
Workers or their representatives, may file a complaint
and request OSHA to conduct an inspection of your workplace if they believe there is a serious danger or your employer is not complying with OSHA standards. A worker can tell OSHA to keep your identity confidential. 's a violation of the OSH Act an employee is fired, demoted, transferred, or discriminated against in any way for filing a complaint or exercise other rights of OSHA.
You can make a complaint online
, download the form
and mail or fax to the office of the nearest OSHA
; or by calling 1-800-321-OSHA (6742). Most of the complaints received from the Internet can be resolved informally by phone with your employer. Written complaints that are signed by an employee or representative and sent to the OSHA office nearest are more likely to result in an OSHA inspection at your workplace.
When the OSHA inspector arrives, workers and their representatives have the right to:
- Be present during the inspection.
- Talk to the OSHA inspector privately.
- Take part in meetings between the inspector and the employer before and after the inspection.
When no union representative or the employee, the OSHA inspector must speak confidentially to a reasonable number of employees during the course of the inspection.
When an inspector finds violations of OSHA standards or serious hazards, OSHA can issue citations and fines. A citation includes the methods that an employer can use to fix the problem, and the date when these corrective actions must be completed. Workers have the right to challenge only the date when the problem has to be solved. But employers have the right to dispute whether there is a violation, or any other part of the citation. Workers or their representatives must notify OSHA if they want to be involved in the appeal process, if the employer challenges a subpoena.
"If you send a complaint requesting an OSHA inspection, you are entitled to a copy of the results of the OSHA inspection and request that they be revised if OSHA decides not to issue citations."
Employers have a responsibility to provide a safe workplace. Employers MUST provide a workplace free of serious hazards and follow all health and safety standards of OSHA
.Employers have to find and fix security issues and health. OSHA also requires employers to try to eliminate or reduce hazards by making changes in working conditions, rather than simply wear masks, gloves, ear plugs, or other types of personal protective equipment (PPE for short in English). Switching to safer chemicals, processes to trap harmful gases, or using ventilation systems to clean the air are examples of effective ways to eliminate or reduce risks.
Employers also MUST:
- Inform employees about the dangers workout, tags, alarms, color-coded systems, information sheets on chemicals and other methods.
- Save accurate reports of injuries and work-related diseases .
- Testing in the workplace, such as air sampling, required by some OSHA standards
- Providing hearing tests or other medical tests required by OSHA standards
- Locate OSHA citations, data on injuries and illnesses, and the OSHA poster at the jobsite in a place where employees can see them.
- Report to OSHA within 8 hours after an incident in the workplace where there is a death or when three or more workers to go to hospital.
- Not discriminate and not retaliate against an employee for exercising their rights under the law.
You can not be punished or discriminated against for exercising their rights under the law of the OSHA
OSHA law protects workers who complain to their employer, OSHA or other government agencies on working conditions that are not healthy or safe, or environmental problems. You can not be transferred, denied a raise, have your hours reduced, be fired, or punished in any other way for exercising their rights under the law of OSHA. OSHA There is help for whistleblowers
If you have been punished or discriminated against for asserting your rights, you must file a complaint with OSHA within 30 days of the alleged retaliation have occurred to most complaints. No form is required, but you must send a letter or call the office nearest OSHA
explaining the situation and the alleged discrimination.
What if there is a dangerous situation at work?
If you believe that your work conditions are not healthy or safe, we recommend that you notify your employer of the conditions, if possible.
You can make a complaint with
OSHA about a hazardous job at any time. But you should not leave the job site only because you made a complaint. If the condition clearly presents a risk of death or serious physical harm, there is insufficient time for OSHA consider, and, whenever possible, you have shown the condition to your employer, you may have a legal right reused to work
in a situation where you would be exposed to danger.
Additional information for workers
Does OSHA has reviewed my employer?
You can research the history of inspection through their employer seeking establishment of OSHA
. Just enter the name of your company and choose the dates you want to examine.
What is the danger most commonly cited in my industry?
You'll need to know the standard industry classification code (SIC, for its acronym in English) from their employer
. Once you know your four-digit code, visit the OSHA Standards that are frequently cited
, enter your SIC code and see the information for the last year.
Does OSHA provides technical information on hazards?
OSHA provides technical information
to help workers, employers and professionals in health and safety issues, to reduce occupational injuries and illnesses. For example, you can find information on pathogens, and ergonomic machine guards or fall protection.
What is the OSHA materials that may be of interest to workers?
OSHA publishes a variety of publications on many topics. Some of the most useful publications for workers are listed below. See OSHA publications
for a complete list of materials published by the agency. You can also order publications online.