N.C. (AP) — An
inmate who authorities
say escaped from a North
Carolina lockup with the
help of a prison employee
has been recaptured,
according to a state
Kristopher McNeil, 29,
was in custody in the
Davidson County Jail
According to the N.C.
Department of Public
Safety, Riley is a
six-year veteran assigned
to the Kinston Highway
Patrol office. A North
Carolina state trooper
based in Lenoir County
was struck while sitting
inside his vehicle as he
investigated an earlier
N.C. State, Tennessee,
Wake Forest and West
Virginia. Surratt is also
one of the state’s
top basketball players,
earning all-state honors
after leading East
Lincoln to the 2A state
championship, where the
Mustangs lost to Kinston
and All ...
DeBolt, who has served as
publisher for both the
Kinston and New Bern
newspapers and oversaw
He previously served
as president of Freedom
Eastern North Carolina
Communications, named to
that post in 2002. Bernie
Szachara, senior vice
In his opening
remarks, North Carolina
Sen. Rick Gunn ...
their efforts to open a
distillery in downtown
Kinston. “The big
thing you need to realize
is that, yes, this is
bell, “ but we also
changed laws, to let this
Weather Service has
issued a heat advisory
Monday for 32 counties in
central and eastern North
Carolina. The advisory is
in effect ...
Lumberton, Morehead City,
Rocky Mount, Wilmington
such as Mother Earth
Brewery in Kinston look
forward to directly
selling customers ...
House Bill 909 also bans
the sale of powdered
alcohol in North
1864, Pickett’s men
captured 250 Yankees and
incarcerated them in the
jail in Kinston, North
Carolina. Among them were
twenty-two who were
identified as former
members of the North
Carolina home guard.
Pickett’s anger at
the men’s ...
Festival: Held in
Kinston, the festival is
a tribute to America's
veterans. Events include
Walk of Honor brick
dedication, music, parade
Carolina has seen a
steady increase in
Hessian fly numbers ...
To illustrate Hessian fly
damage, Murphy said his
breeding nursery in
Kinston this year had the
heaviest Hessian fly
ever seen with 50 percent
of all the lines he
Chocolate from Videri
Chocolate Factory in
Raleigh NC now
BuyLocal in downtown
Kinston! Dark Milk
Chocolate, Sea Salt
Chocolate, & Classic
Dark Chocolate! Buy
Local, 115 W North
is made from the
discarded fruit of the
coffee plant. Photo:
Ethan Covey Last week, at
a back table inside New
Company, a spread of
desserts tempted guests:
SPECIAL INFORMATION FOR KINSTON
Campaign in KINSTON NORTH CAROLINA: the importance of eating fish !!!
Eat 200-350 grams of a variety of fish * each week preferably those that are low in mercury. The nutritional value of fish is important for the growth and development before birth, in infancy for breastfed infants and children.
Who should know
Women who are pregnant (or might be pregnant) or breastfeeding.
Whoever feeds young children.
What to do
1. Eat 200-350 grams of a variety of fish a week.
- That is 2 or 3 servings of fish a week.
2. Choose fish low in mercury.
- For young children, give them 2 or 3 servings of fish a week acurdo with age and calorie needs.
- Many of the fish we eat most often are lower in mercury.
3. Avoid 4 types of fish: tilefish from the Gulf of Mexico, shark, swordfish and king mackerel.
- These include salmon, shrimp, haddock, tuna (canned light), tilapia, catfish and cod.
- These 4 types of fish are higher in mercury.
4. When consumption is fish you have caught or other streams, rivers and lakes, heed warnings signs in water bodies.
- Limit white tuna (albacore) to 159 grams a week.
5. To add more fish to your diet, be sure to stay within your calorie needs.
- If the advice is not available, adults should limit this type of fish to 150 grams a week and toddlers in 30-80 grams a week.
Why this advice is relevant
Fish contains important nutrients to developing fetuses, babies who are breastfed and young children. Fish provides health benefits for the general public. Many people do not currently fish eat the recommended amount.
KINSTON NORTH CAROLINA tspan:3m
KINSTON NORTH CAROLINA
Take Action to Improve Your Financial Situation in KINSTON NORTH CAROLINA
By Katie Bryan, America Saves Communications Director.
America Saves Week, February 24
March 1, 2014, is a time to review your finances, decide what you want to
save for, and set up a system that will allow you to save automatically. Thats
why the America Saves Week theme is Set
a Goal. Make a Plan. Save Automatically. Did you know that only half of
Americans report having good savings habits? Even if you are already saving,
its good to take a look at your goals and decide if you can save more or start
a new savings goal. Join thousands of others who are pledging to pay down
debt, save money, and take financial action during America Saves Week.
Not sure what to
save for or what to save for next? Here are the most popular saving goals
of those who have pledged to save through America Saves:
· Save for Emergencies - Only 37 percent
of low-to-moderate income households have a savings or money market account at
a bank or credit union and nearly a quarter of savers who have pledged to save
have chosen emergency savings as their first wealth-building goal. Learn
· Save for Education - Saving for
education is the second most popular goal savers select when they pledge to
save with America Saves. There are many different things to factor in when
saving and paying for college. Learn
· Pay Down Debt - Getting out of debt is the #3 goal
Savers select when they pledge to save. That does not come as a surprise since
a 2012 survey found that 45% of families
with annual incomes under $50,000 rely on credit cards to pay for basic needs
such as rent, utilities, insurance and food. Learn
· Save for a Home - For decades, home ownership has
been the main path to wealth for most Americans. Today, home equity - the
market value of a home minus the balance on any home loans - represents more
than four-fifths of the typical family’s wealth. Learn
· Save for Retirement - Retirement
savings is a top priority for many Savers. Saving for retirement now will
ensure that you have enough money to maintain a comfortable standard of living
when you stop or reduce the amount of hours you work. Learn
Not sure how to
save for your goals? Here are some saving strategies to help:
· Save Automatically - The easiest and
most effective way to save is automatically. This is how millions of Americans
save at their bank or credit union, and how millions of employees save through
401(k) and other retirement programs at work. Learn more.
· Save at Tax Time - Do you spend weeks eagerly
anticipating your tax refund? When the money finally comes in, is it gone
tomorrow? Many people view tax refunds as unplanned bonuses. They see the money
as a gift from the government, to use for splurges or treats. But a tax refund
provides the opportunity to improve your financial situation. Learn
the America Saves Pledge (or re-pledge) today to set your savings goal and
make a plan to save. When you take the pledge you can also choose to receive
text message tips and reminders to help you save for your goal. And dont
forget to follow America Saves on Facebook
America Saves Week is coordinated
by America Saves and the American Savings
Education Council. Started in 2007, the Week is an annual opportunity for
organizations to promote good savings behavior and a chance for inpiduals to
assess their own saving status
Tips to Prevent Data Theft in KINSTON NORTH CAROLINA
Today, its quick and easy to get a credit card approved, transfer money from one account to another, renew your drivers license, fill a prescription from your doctor at your local pharmacy, use store loyalty cards, and purchase products online. But you pay for this convenience by providing more opportunities for your personal information to be changed, stolen, or reported inaccurately. Companies can also use the information you have shared to direct their future marketing efforts or can sell the information to other companies. To help protect your privacy, follow these tips:
- Look for privacy statements on websites, sales materials, and forms you fill out. If a website claims to follow a set of established voluntary standards, read the standards. Don´t assume they provide the level of privacy you want.
- Ask how your personal information will be stored and used.
- Only provide the purchase date, model/serial numbers, and your contact information of warranty registration forms.
- Discuss privacy with others in your home. Everyone, even children, should understand what information is not appropriate to share on the phone, while using a computer, tablet, smart phone and in other situations.
Check with your state or local consumer agency to find out whether any state laws that help protect your privacy. Some companies and industry groups have also adopted voluntary policies that address privacy concerns.
Creating Secure Passwords
The number of passwords that you need on a daily basis can be overwhelming. It is tempting to use the same password across several sites; however to get the most protection available, you should use different passwords on each site and change your passwords periodically. The goal for creating passwords is to strike a balance between being something that is easy to remember and unique. Some general tips for creating a secure password include:
- Use a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- The longer password, the better it is.
- Dont use your name, birthday, license plate, favorite sports teams or other facts that are easily guessed.
- Create a password based on a phrase. For example A stitch in time saves nine can be translated into the password Ast!Ts9. where each character represents a word in the phrase.
- If you must use the same password on several websites, add a prefix or suffix. For example, use Ast!Ts9:4bnkfor your bank account and Eml: Ast!Ts9 for your email account.
Back to Top
Specialty Consumer Reports
Credit reports are not the only reports that you can get for free. The same law that allows you to get a free credit report each year also allows you to get a copy of specialty consumer reports. Just like Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion collect your credit information, there are other companies that collect information about your medical, insurance, rental/tenant and alternative credit histories. Landlords, insurers and other companies buy these reports to help them decide whether or not they will offer their services to you.
Just like your credit reports, you have the right to a free annual report from each specialty consumer reporting agency. Since there is no centralized place to order these reports (like there is for credit reports), you must contact each agency individually. If you are planning to rent an apartment, ask the landlord for the name of the screening company that they use and request a copy of your report in advance. Similarly if you are getting a new insurance policy, you can contact the consumer reporting agencies that collect related information. If there is a mistake on your report, you have a right to correct it.
For a list of specialty consumer agencies, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (PDF) or Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. If you need to file a complaint about a consumer reporting agency, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or the Federal Trade Commission.